Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Week 6 Reading Responses

I chose a few of the big shifts

Big Shift 1: Open Content

I like the idea of open content as opposed to more “closed” textbook based learning. Richardson (2010) talks about teachers and students using the Internet to create their own textbooks (p. 148). I think this would be great strategy to integrate into my classroom. This activity would build students researching and collaboration skills.

Big Shift 2: Many, Many Teachers and 24/7 Learning

I have found that teachers often share ideas and materials that work in the same school together. Collaboration with other teachers is a great way to find new and creative tools to use in the classroom (Richardson, 2010, p. 150). The idea of there being hundreds of teachers on the Internet to share ideas with is very exciting. I think all teachers should take advantage of the opportunity to share ideas with other instructors to help improve their instruction. I think that teachers can learn a lot by sharing ideas and I will definitely take advantage of this when I become a teacher.

Big Shift 3: The Social, Collaborative Construction of Meaningful Knowledge

I think it is very beneficial to have students share their completed work with a bigger audience then the teacher or classmates. This will make the work more meaningful for them. I could definitely use this in my future classroom. My students could share their work on a classroom website or a blog.

Big Shift 4: Teaching Is Conversation, Not Lecture

Richardson (2010) explains how having students publish their work can be empowering to students because it allows them to see that their ideas matter (p. 151). I agree that it is important to get students active in their own learning in order to motivate them. I think this will be one of the hardest parts of the big shift. I will need to find tasks that keep students engaged and places they can publish their work where they will receive positive feedback.

Big Shift 10: Contribution, Not Completion, As the Ultimate Goal

Richardson (2010) explains how using the Internet to share student work gives them more of a sense of purpose in what they do (p. 153). Rather then just finishing their work and handing it students are able to contribute what they have done to a larger audience. I think that this is a great way to motivate students.

Overall, I feel that the big shift is a great way to actively engage students in their learning. I think that it will be a lot of work for teachers to find ways to balance the new shifts with the academic curriculum, but it is worth the time.


Richardson, Will. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, California: Corwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment